Monday, November 30, 2009

ORAL PRESENTATIONS ("Blog Response") 11/30/09

For those of you who have to do an oral presentation in the last weeks who have NOT already posted to the blog:

You may only respond to Night from here on out. That means you can do a Reader's Response, or a Research Lite. I will be posting list of resources on the blog (and also on the webpage) to do some outside research for Night.

I know this eliminates an option that previous students had, but I'd like to focus our attention in the last two weeks on Night, since there is so much there to discuss. Once the research resources are posted, they will include leading questions, which you may use as a sort of "Blog Response," but I will not be posting a traditional blog on the story, as I don't think I could do justice to explaining all of WWII and the Holocaust.

If you have not yet presented, but you already posted your blog response, you'll be able to present on that. *Note: Anyone may respond to the two most recent blogs ("Enlightenment" and "19th C. Showdown") for extra credit.

~Mr. Franklin

2 comments:

  1. My blog response is on the second question: “How is it that genocides still occur in the world?” about Rwanda. Around 1994 over 7 million people of the Rwanda population were composed of Hutu, Tutsi, and Twa. Then the Hutu decided they were better than the others so they started an act to get rid of any persons that opposed the government’s ways. This was when 500,000 Tutsi were killed. One of the main reasons that this probably occurred is because they were insecure with themselves so they had to put everyone else down to feel better. They also could have deep historical root. Stereotypes can occur over time and can lead to pure hatred of one group casing you to act in violent, deadly ways. They are ignorant of what they don’t know and they are fearful of the others and this turns to aggression. So, overall, the reason genocides still occur in the world is because they do not take the time to find out the reason for their anger against some certain group. They just act right then and there and that gets them in trouble. And for the worksheet some key points I found are that a woman that kills no one, but loots the homes of Tutsi victims is a responsible women because the Tutsi were their enemy. Also, child soldiers who were recruited into the Hindu military who kills Tutsis would be considered very responsible because again the Tutsis were the enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog response is a reader’s response to The Knight. I found this story very interesting and far from boring. Before reading this book I had never learned anything about the holocaust and new very little about it. It had always just seemed impossible to me that something of that nature could have ever occurred and gone on for as long as it did. This story helped me get a real understanding of how horrible the events were that took place during the time of the holocaust. Until I read Ellie Wiesel talk about his experience, it was just a distant story that I had heard about but never took the time to understand. I had never thought that people could feel so strongly about their superiority of another religion or culture. So overall, I think this story was extremely knowledgeable for me and gave me a different outlook on the respect for another human being.

    ReplyDelete